Generating pride in the places we care for

We pride ourselves on our transparency and integrity, always aiming to provide a high standard of service that is tailored to suit the individual needs of each development.

The Block Management division primarily specialise in the leasehold sector.

We offer a variety of services depending on the requirements of our many different clients.

The following list is not exhaustive but illustrates the range of services provided to our existing clients:

  • Service charge collection
  • Ground rent collection
  • Rent charge collection
  • Preparation of service charge budgets
  • Preparation of year end accounts
  • Arrangement of maintenance contracts and preparation of regular maintenance plans
  • Communication with residents on all matters
  • 24 hour emergency helpline
  • Company secretarial services
  • Company directorship services
  • Preparation of client reports
  • Kingston maintenance team
  • Dealing with consents and notices

Open Spaces

Open Spaces is a trading division of Kingston specialising in Residential Estate Management.

Open Spaces look after and maintain the shared external areas of an estate that have not been adopted by the Local Authority.

We understand that residents are the priority, and we’re here as a point of contact for both residents and developers.

Our clients include many of the national developers and we are the first choice for most housebuilders across the north.

We offer a variety of services that are tailored to the requirements of our clients and bespoke to each development.

Our Finance Team ensures that service charge funds are accounted for accurately and with transparency.

They work closely with the Property Managers to prepare clear, accurate, itemised Service Charge Budgets, which set out the estimated running costs for the coming year and form the basis of the service charge.

Provision is made for capital expenditure items such as redecorations and major repairs to build up a reserve fund.

Regular management accounting information is produced throughout the year to enable expenditure to be monitored and controlled.

Service Charge Accounts are prepared each year for individual developments and service charge monies are held in trust in accordance with current legislation.

Our in house Legal Services team has a wealth of experience in all aspects of the leasehold sector and property management.

Kingston act as Company Secretary for a host of Resident Management Companies.

The position of Company Secretary for Resident Management Companies carries duties and responsibilities that can become time consuming and onerous. We ensure that the legal requirements, such as filing annual returns and company accounts, are dealt with efficiently and effectively avoiding the risk of fines and breach of statutory duty.

Full Company Secretarial services include:

  • Maintenance of the company’s registers and file annual returns
  • Providing a registered office
  • Reminder of obligations and drafting general meeting documentation for approval
  • Act as company secretary
  • Ad hoc support such as the preparation of minutes and documentation required to approve agreements or change directors
  • A dedicated administrator who has access to electronic filing to enable efficient updating of appointments etc.

Our support teams provide a ‘one stop shop’ for any queries, building or service charge issues. You can call them to report a maintenance issue, pay your service charge, or with any general enquiry you might have.

Kingston and our dedicated support teams pride themselves on dealing with all queries in the first instance.

In the unlikely event that they cannot help you, or they need to refer your query, they will ensure that matters are dealt with as efficiently and effectively as possible.

The support teams are available Monday to Friday during business hours. However, we provide a 24/7 service with an Out of Hours team, and at no additional cost to you.

Living Spaces

Living Spaces is the Sales, Lettings and Management arm of Kingston.

An estate agency that knows how much a home means, our team of property experts offer an honest, transparent, professional and knowledgeable service.


  • Whether you’re a first time buyer or an experienced property owner, we turn a time consuming process into something much easier, because we know how much a home means.


  • Whether you are a private home owner or a property investor, we can offer a range of Lettings and Management services.

Property Management

  • We have a robust infrastructure in place that takes care of not only finding you quality, referenced tenants but looks after the day to day hassles too.

Have a question about our services?
Contact us for more information.

Office Hours
Monday to Friday: 9.00am-5.00pm

Telephone Hours
Monday to Friday: 9.00am-1.00pm

0330 123 1133